The Best Gas Credit CardsAfter conducting a comprehensive survey of credit cards, we've compiled a list of the most rewarding gas rebate credit cards currently available on the market. Enjoy!
Note: Put your mouse over the icon to see more detailed information.
- indicates an Editor's Pick.
|Card||Gas Rebate||Tiered?||Other Rebate||Rebate Cap||Credit Method|
|Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express||2%||Yes||1%-3%||None||Annual credit|
|Clark Platinum Edition MasterCard||Up to 4%*||Yes||1%||5,000 points/month on Clark purchases; no rebate limit on other purchases||Request credit every $25 (2,500 points)|
|Gulf Platinum Mastercard||3% at Gulf stations||No||1%||None||Statement credit every time at least $20 is accumulated|
|Hess Visa Platinum||3% on up to $400 in purchases at Hess each billing cycle; 0.25% at non-Hess gas stations||No||1%||Max rebate earned at 3% is $12 per billing cycle.||Automatic credit against future Hess purchases once you reach $25 in rebates|
|PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards Visa® Card||5% (with the Plus card)||No||0.25%||None||Monthly statement credit|
|PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature® Card||5 points/$1 spent||No||1%-3%||None||Redeem points for gift cards or other rewards. Each point is worth slightly less than 1 cent towards a gift card.|
|Phillips 66 Conoco 76 Mastercard||5 cents/gallon at Phillips 66, Conoco and 76 stations||Yes||N/A||Must purchase at least 45 gallons of gas in a billing cycle to earn rebate. Rebate capped at 110 gallons per billing cycle.||Automatically credited to your monthly billing statement|
|Shell Mastercard||Up to 20 cents/gallon on Shell gas||Yes||N/A||Rebate capped to first 100 gallons of gas purchased per billing cycle||Automatic statement credit|
|SimplyCash Business Card from American Express OPEN||3% on gas purchases of up to $12,000 per year; 1% thereafter||No||1%-5%||None||Automatic monthly credit|
|Sinclair Oil Platinum Edition Visa Card||8% for 2 billing cycles on Sinclair purchases; 4% afterwards||No||Up to 1.25%||4% rebate limited to first $7,500 of Sinclair gas purchases per year; after that, you'll earn 1% for Visa Platinum or 1.25% for Visa Signature cards, whichever is issued||Rewards are redeemable in 2,500 point increments. For each 2,500 points you earn and if your Account is then in good standing, you are eligible to receive a reward in the amount of $25 in the form of a check, a rebate credit applied to your Account or a deposit made to any checking or savings account at a U.S. financial institution of your choice|
|Speedway SuperAmerica Credit Card||40 points/$1||No||10 points/$1||None||See www.speedyrewards.com|
- Unless otherwise noted, none of the cards have an annual fee
- The credit cards associated with a particular of gas brand only offer rebates when their cards are used at their own stations
When selecting a card, we prefer those that do not limit our rebate to a specific brand of gas. The majority of the brand-specific gas credit cards in fact do not issue rebates at all when used at a competing brand's gas station.
With that in mind, a few cards do stand out:
- Pentagon Federal Visa Platinum Cash Rewards Card - Our top pick in this category, it earns a flat 5% rebate on all gas purchases with no limit. In addition, it earns a 2% rebate at supermarkets and a 1% rebate on everything else. For frequent travelers it also offers a nice perk -- no foreign transaction fees. The only caveat is that this card does require Pentagon Federal credit union membership, but that can be easily obtained by anyone.
- Blue Cash from Amex - Larger spenders may prefer the Blue Cash from Amex. Once you reach $6,500 in annual spending, you'll earn a 5% rebate not only at gas stations, but drugstores and supermarkets as well.