Want to get away? Below, we’ve compiled a list of credit card promotions that will give you a free airline ticket when you apply, and in some cases, reach a certain spend level. The list has been broken into two parts: 1) a subset of cards that earn points that can be easily converted into miles in your favorite frequent flyer program, and 2) a list of cards that are geared towards earning airmiles with specific carriers.
Points-Earning Credit Cards
|Citi ThankYou(SM) Premier Card
||Up to 50,000 ThankYou Points (redeemable for up to $500 in gift cards, or up to $625 for airfare)
||$125 (waived first year)
- Earn 20,000 points after $2,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening
- Earn an additional 30,000 points after another $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of your second year of being a cardmember
- Earn 3 ThankYou Points for every $1 spent on purchases for dining at restaurants and entertainment
- Earn 2 ThankYou Points for every $1 spent on purchases for airfare and hotels
- Earn 1 ThankYou Point per $1 spent on other purchases
- Points do not expire and earn unlimited Thank You Points
- Travel with ease and enjoy chip based technology
|PenFed Premium Travel Rewards American Express® Card
||20,000 bonus points
- Earn 5 points on airfare purchases
- Earn 1 point on all other purchases
- 20,000 bonus points when you spend $2,500 within the first 3 months of opening the Card account
- No foreign transaction fees
- Chip Enabled for Added Security
|U.S. Bank FlexPerks® Travel Rewards Visa Signature®
||20,000 bonus FlexPoints points (redeemable for up to $400 ticket value)
||$49, waived for first year
- Get 20,000 bonus FlexPoints after the first $3,500 in net purchases within the first four months.
- Award travel starts at just 20,000 FlexPoints (up to a $400 ticket value) on over 150 airlines with no blackout dates or online redemption fees
- Earn one FlexPoint for every $1 of eligible net purchases charged to your card
- Earn two FlexPoints for every $1 spent on gas, grocery or airline purchases — whichever you spend most on each monthly billing cycle — and on most cell phone expenses
- Earn Triple FlexPoints for your charitable donations
- $0 intro Annual Fee* the first year, after that $49*
- Earn 3,500 bonus FlexPoints each year when you spend $24,000 in Net Purchases.
- You can redeem these FlexPoints for your annual fee or combine them with other FlexPoints for travel or many other rewards
() – Recommended Card
Airline-specific Credit Cards
|Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® Card
||25,000 Mileage Plan Bonus Miles
||25,000 Bonus Miles valid for a Round Trip Coach Saver award ticket in the continental U.S, Alaska or Canada on Alaska Airlines or Horizon Air.
|Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® World MasterCard®
||30,000 AAdvantage® miles
||$95, waived for first 12 months
||Earn 30,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after $1,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of cardmembership*
|Sun Country Airlines Visa Signature Card
||40,000 points redeemable for a roundtrip ticket
||$69, waived for the first year
- First bag checked free on every flight when you present your card
- 40,000 points redeemable for a roundtrip ticket when you spend $500 within the first 3 billing cycles
- 5,000 bonus points when you spend $10,000 on your card during each 12 billing cycle period
- 4 points per $1 spent on qualifying on-board purchases
- 2 points per $1 spent on qualifying Sun Country Airlines products and services, including tickets and upgrades
- 1 point per $1 spent on everything else
|TD Aeroplan™ Visa® Credit Card
||25,000 Aeroplan Miles
||$95, waived for first year
- Earn a welcome bonus of 25,000 Aeroplan Miles when you spend $1,000 on net purchases in the first three billing cycles after account opening
- Earn 2X Aeroplan Miles per $1 spent on Air Canada net purchases
- Earn 1 Aeroplan Mile per $1 spent on all other net purchases
|Virgin Atlantic World Elite MasterCard®
||Up to 90,000 Flying Club bonus miles
- 20,000 Flying Club bonus miles after your first retail purchase
- 50,000 additional Flying Club bonus miles after you spend at least $12,000 in qualifying purchases within 6 months of your account open date
- Earn up to 15,000 additional bonus miles upon anniversary
- Earn up to 5,000 Flying Club bonus miles when you add additional authorized users to your card
- Earn 3 miles per $1 spent directly on Virgin Atlantic purchases and 1.5 miles per $1 spent on all other purchases
Do keep in mind that a “free flight” isn’t always completely free. Some airlines and programs may charge a fee to issue the ticket, and you’ll still be responsible for any applicable taxes, passenger facility charges, government imposed surcharges and the September 11 security fee.
Leave a Reply
Disclaimer: This content is not provided or commissioned by the credit card issuer. Opinions expressed here are author's alone, not those of the credit card issuer, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the credit card issuer. This site may be compensated through the credit card issuer Affiliate Program.
This site has financial relationships with some of the cards mentioned here and may be compensated if consumers choose to apply for these links in the content and ultimately sign up with them.
Disclaimer 2: CreditCardWatcher.com strives to give our readers a thoroughly unbiased and independent opinion. While we make reasonable effort to provide fair and accurate information, it is presented without warranty.