Get Free Airline Tickets with your Credit Card Application
Want to get away? Below, we’ve compiled a list of credit card promotions that will give you a free airline ticket when you apply, and in some cases, reach a certain spend level. The list has been broken into two parts: 1) a subset of cards that earn points that can be easily converted into miles in your favorite frequent flyer program, and 2) a list of cards that are geared towards earning airmiles with specific carriers.
Points-Earning Credit Cards
|Citi ThankYou(SM) Premier Card
||Up to 50,000 ThankYou Points (redeemable for up to $500 in gift cards, or up to $625 for airfare)
||$125 (waived first year)
- Earn 20,000 points after $2,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening
- Earn an additional 30,000 points after another $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of your second year of being a cardmember
- Earn 3 ThankYou Points for every $1 spent on purchases for dining at restaurants and entertainment
- Earn 2 ThankYou Points for every $1 spent on purchases for airfare and hotels
- Earn 1 ThankYou Point per $1 spent on other purchases
- Points do not expire and earn unlimited Thank You Points
- Travel with ease and enjoy chip based technology
|PenFed Premium Travel Rewards American Express® Card
||20,000 bonus points
- Earn 5 points on airfare purchases
- Earn 1 point on all other purchases
- 20,000 bonus points when you spend $2,500 within the first 3 months of opening the Card account
- No foreign transaction fees
- Chip Enabled for Added Security
|U.S. Bank FlexPerks® Travel Rewards Visa Signature®
||20,000 bonus FlexPoints points (redeemable for up to $400 ticket value)
||$49, waived for first year
- Get 20,000 bonus FlexPoints after the first $3,500 in net purchases within the first four months.
- Award travel starts at just 20,000 FlexPoints (up to a $400 ticket value) on over 150 airlines with no blackout dates or online redemption fees
- Earn one FlexPoint for every $1 of eligible net purchases charged to your card
- Earn two FlexPoints for every $1 spent on gas, grocery or airline purchases — whichever you spend most on each monthly billing cycle — and on most cell phone expenses
- Earn Triple FlexPoints for your charitable donations
- $0 intro Annual Fee* the first year, after that $49*
- Earn 3,500 bonus FlexPoints each year when you spend $24,000 in Net Purchases.
- You can redeem these FlexPoints for your annual fee or combine them with other FlexPoints for travel or many other rewards
() – Recommended Card
Airline-specific Credit Cards
|Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® Card
||25,000 Mileage Plan Bonus Miles
||25,000 Bonus Miles valid for a Round Trip Coach Saver award ticket in the continental U.S, Alaska or Canada on Alaska Airlines or Horizon Air.
|Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® World MasterCard®
||30,000 AAdvantage® miles
||$95, waived for first 12 months
||Earn 30,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after $1,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of cardmembership*
|Sun Country Airlines Visa Signature Card
||40,000 points redeemable for a roundtrip ticket
||$69, waived for the first year
- First bag checked free on every flight when you present your card
- 40,000 points redeemable for a roundtrip ticket when you spend $500 within the first 3 billing cycles
- 5,000 bonus points when you spend $10,000 on your card during each 12 billing cycle period
- 4 points per $1 spent on qualifying on-board purchases
- 2 points per $1 spent on qualifying Sun Country Airlines products and services, including tickets and upgrades
- 1 point per $1 spent on everything else
|TD Aeroplan™ Visa® Credit Card
||25,000 Aeroplan Miles
||$95, waived for first year
- Earn a welcome bonus of 25,000 Aeroplan Miles when you spend $1,000 on net purchases in the first three billing cycles after account opening
- Earn 2X Aeroplan Miles per $1 spent on Air Canada net purchases
- Earn 1 Aeroplan Mile per $1 spent on all other net purchases
|Virgin Atlantic World Elite MasterCard®
||Up to 90,000 Flying Club bonus miles
- 20,000 Flying Club bonus miles after your first retail purchase
- 50,000 additional Flying Club bonus miles after you spend at least $12,000 in qualifying purchases within 6 months of your account open date
- Earn up to 15,000 additional bonus miles upon anniversary
- Earn up to 5,000 Flying Club bonus miles when you add additional authorized users to your card
- Earn 3 miles per $1 spent directly on Virgin Atlantic purchases and 1.5 miles per $1 spent on all other purchases
Do keep in mind that a “free flight” isn’t always completely free. Some airlines and programs may charge a fee to issue the ticket, and you’ll still be responsible for any applicable taxes, passenger facility charges, government imposed surcharges and the September 11 security fee.
Pingback: 17 Credit Cards with Free Plane Ticket Offers · Credit Card Watcher
one more card from AirTran
Jarek–Thanks for the link, but AirTran (ATA) is out of business now.
I got that link last week. AirTran’s website looks pretty operational (www.airtran.com). Although, ATA (www.ata.com) is indeed out of business.
Jarek–Thanks for pointing that out. For some reason I always associated ATA and AirTran together.
Hi Jarek, you seem to be the guy in the know. I saw an ad in the in flight magazine on Southwest Airlines re: earn 2 free tickets for signing up for a credit card. I meant to do it right away, but couldn’t find the offer again. Could you help? I want to bring my grandkids to Buffalo this summer, but can’t really afford all their tickets. I’m not even sure I can find this website again since I’m not very computer savvy. I’d appreciate any help you could give me. Thank you. Sue
How do I go about obtaining a AMX credit card so I can get 30,000points – 2 free airline tickets?
Lately I am using Southwest and am doing it again in Nov. Thank you.
If you need to manufacture spend for any of these cards, I recommend using a Target Prepaid Redcard. It allows you to load up to $5,000 per month, then billpay back to your credit card.